- This event has passed.
AAML-IL President’s Day Seminar 2023 – Gender Identity & Family Law
Click Here to Register and Learn More – Open to All AAML Fellows
Attend Live in Chicago or via Webcast
Learn about the role of gender in family law practice from an accomplished gender health physician as well as experienced Academy Fellows. The faculty will address both the current law and best practices for communicating with gender diverse families. The program will also feature a judges’ panel discussing how to navigate the same issues. In partnership with LAGBAC.
The Keynote presentation will be on Dr. Angela Kade Goepferd, MD (she/they), Chief Education Officer, Chief of Staff, Pediatrician in the Children’s Minneapolis Primary Care Clinic and Medical Director of Children’s Gender Health Program. Her Ted Talk is here: The Revolutionary Truth about Kids and Gender Identity
Dr. Goepferd has provided professional training for a variety of audiences on how to improve their skills and comfort working with LGBTQ clients and their families. At this program, Dr. Goepferd will provide an in-depth presentation on essential concepts and core issues that are crucial for family law attorneys serving families navigating issues of gender identity and expression, including:
- Gender identity development in kids and relevant terminology to describe transgender identities
- Practical strategies for talking to parents and children about gender identity.
- The important role of parents in the health and mental health of LGBTQ+ kids
- Evidence-based approaches to parenting transgender and gender diverse kids
- Strategies for working with parents who are “unsupportive” and high-conflict families.
- The basic components of “gender affirming care” for kids and teenagers.
Stephanie Laffey – IICLE (Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education)
Adam Kibort, AAML-IL
Paulette Gray, AAML-IL