- This event has passed.
Webinar – SBP and TSP: The Survivor Benefit Plan and Thrift Savings Plan – P3 Military Family Law Series
August 12, 2022 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Part Three of the Five-Part Webinar Series
Can’t make the date? No problem! This webinar will be recorded for later viewing!
Choose between Two Purchase Options:
(1) Purchase this webinar only
(2) Purchase all 5 webinars in the series for the price of 4!
You’ll be able to view the first two webinars of this series ‘on-demand’.
All webinars will be recorded and available in the ‘Past Webinars’ section for later viewing.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THIS OR ALL FIVE IN THE SERIES
The Following Questions and More Will be Covered in This Webinar
– What is the Survivor Benefit Plan?
– How much does it cost, how are premiums paid, and what are the benefits?
– Is there anything which would disqualify the spouse from coverage?
– Is it automatic, or do you have to request coverage?
– Can the servicemember effectively oppose the award of SBP and if so, how is this done?
– How can the spouse ensure that the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) is not omitted?
– If it is lost, can Servicemember Group Life Insurance replace it?
– If SBP is ordered, can the court require the spouse who receives it to pay for it?
The Thrift Savings Plan is the military equivalent of a 401(k) plan.
– How is it divided?
– What are the choices for the spouse or former spouse?
– What’s the order which accomplishes the division?
– Can you “freeze” the TSP while division is pending?
– Dealing with military divorce issues has just turned into “life in the fast lane”, or if you make a mistake, “life in the oncoming lane”. These two subjects can help clarify the choices for the client and the attorney in a military divorce matter.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Mr. Sullivan is a retired Army Reserve JAG colonel. He practices family law in Raleigh, North Carolina and is the author of The Military Divorce Handbook (Am. Bar Assn.) and many internet resources on military family law issues. A Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Mr. Sullivan has been a board-certified specialist in family law since 1989. He works with attorneys and judges nationwide as a consultant on military divorce issues and in drafting military pension division orders.
Other Webinars in the Series
Part One – The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and Family Law
Part Two -Military Pension Division: Your Ex-Mate and Route 1408
Part Four – Military Disability Retirement and Family Law
Part Five – Domestic Violence and the Military: The Camouflage Connection