Gunnar Gitlin has exclusively practiced family law for 30+ years. Author of Gitlin on Divorce: A Guide to Illinois Family Law. Over 120 presentations to family lawyers, statewide in Illinois and nationally.
Loyola University Chicago School of Law/1987/Juris Doctor
Admitted to Practice
AAML Position(s) Held
- Member, Admissions Procedures Committee, 1997-2001, 2003-2004, and 2005-2006
- Co-Chair, Institute for Matrimonial Law Associates Committee, 1999-2002, Member, 1998-2003. American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Journal Committee (2003-2005). Member: National Test Committee (2011-2015) and previously.
- President (2022-23)
- President-Elect (2021-22)
- Vice President (2008-11). Board of Directors: 1997-2003 and 2006 – 07
- 2011-12 and 2017-20. Chairman: New Case Law Committee (1997-1998
- 2001-02). Chair: Continuing Legal Education Committee (2005-07), Co-chair (2008-11 and 2014-19). Chair: Website Committee (2008-13). Program Chair: First and Second Annual Family Law Seminar for Experienced Matrimonial Lawyers (October 2005 and October 2006)
- program co-chair October 2008-11 programs and 2013-18 programs: Annual Family Law Seminar for Experienced Matrimonial Lawyers (Columbus Day 2008 to 2011 and 2013-18). Non-chair member: CLE Committee (1998-2001 and 2012-13)
- Member: Legislation and Lobbying Committee, (1998-1999 and 2017-19), Chair (2020-23).
- McHenry County Bar Association, Chair, Legal Aid Committee, 1993-96 and Chair of Family Law Section 2014-15
- American Bar Association, Co-Editor, Family Law Section’s Fax News Update Service, 1994-2004
- Lake County, Kane County, IL State Bar Associations
- Member, Illinois Appellate Lawyers Assn.
- Fellow, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals and the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois
- Fellow International Academy of Family Lawyers. Member Board of Directors: Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education 2021-23.
- Speaker for Family Law Sections of McHenry County, Kane County, Northwest Suburban Bar, and Winnebago County. Speaker for Illinois Chapter of AAML Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Illinois State Bar Assn., American Bar Assn., Law Education Institute, Illinois’ Attorney General, Northern Illinois University, and other organizations. Presentations included a variety of topics including Drafting MSAs, Child Support and Maintenance, Case Law Updates, Relocation, Jurisdiction including UIFSA and UCCJEA, QDROs, Business Valuations
- Divorce Taxation and Custody Litigation. Presentations are too many to individually recite.
Find a Lawyer
Filter your results by…
– OR –
Become a Fellow
AAML is a welcoming group of accomplished family lawyers who are approachable role models and eager allies to help you advance your family law career.