University of Kansas/1993/J.D.
Admitted to Practice
AAML Position(s) Held
- Parliamentarian (Current, 2014)
- Central States Chapter: President (2016-2018)
- President-Elect (2014-2016)
- Treasurer (2022 – current)
- – American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) o Fellow o President, Central States Chapter (Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota), 2016 – 2018 o Continuing Legal Education Committee, Mid-Year Meeting Chair, 2017 o National Parliamentarian, 2014 o Council of Committee Chairs, 2014 o Admissions Process Committee, Member, 2014 – 2016 o Lifetime Member, AAML Foundation- International Academy of Family Law, Fellow (IAFL)- American Bar Association/National Institute of Trial Advocacy (ABA/NITA) Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute, Faculty Member, 2016 – present- Board Certified in Family Law Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA)- Iowa State Bar Association, Family and Juvenile Law Section o Chair, 2012 – 2014 o Vice-Chair, 2011 o Council Member, 2001 – 2005, 2011 – 2017 o Legislative Committee, 1999 – 2019- Iowa Board of Law Examiners, Vice-Chair- Polk County Bar Association, Family Law Committee and Bench/Bar Committee (Past Co-Chair)- American Bar Association o Family Law & Law Practice Management Sections o Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division o Litigation and JD Lawyers Conference Forums- Association of Family Conciliation Courts, Permanent Member- Pre-eminent AV® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell- Great Plains Super Lawyers (2012-present)
- – Family Law Arbitration: A New Arrow in the Quiver, Iowa State Bar Association (2020)- Fees Fi Fo Fum: The Giant Dilemma of Attorney Fees in Family Law Cases, Panelist, Polk County Bar Association (2020)- The Art of Being a Legal Ninja, Iowa Paralegal Association (2020)- Modifications of Custody & Support_Weighing the Impact of Covid-19, Iowa State Bar Association (2020)- Custody Matters & Parenting Plans, Iowa Paralegal Association Annual Meeting, 2019- Lawyers, (Big) Guns & Money: Dealing with Alimony in a Post-TCJA World, Iowa Judicial Conference, 2019- Child Custody Evaluation Cases, Iowa State Bar Association, Family & Juvenile Law Seminar, 2018- Joint Physical Care & Parenting Plans, Iowa State Bar Association Webinar, 2018- Tech Tools to Work Less and Earn More, American Bar Association, Family Law Section Fall Meeting, 2017- Revisiting Shared Parental Access – Is a Presumption of Equal Parenting Time the Appropriate Template for Custody Determination? American Bar Association, Family Law Section Spring Meeting, 2015- Improved Access to Family Court Through Uniform Rules and Forms, Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2014- Child Custody Evaluations: What Judges Should Demand & Litigants Should Expect with Maria P. Cognetti, President of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2014- And They Lived Happily Unmarried … What to Know, Before You Need It, University of Iowa College of Law, Journal of Gender, Race & Justice Symposium, 2014- Fee Collections, Credit Cards & Attorney Fee Liens (Getting Paid in the Digital Age), 24th Annual Iowa Association of Justice Family Law Seminar, 2014- Shared Care: To Presume or Not to Presume? That is the Question, Iowa State Bar Association, Family & Juvenile Law Seminar, 2013- The Relocation Case, Iowa State Bar Association, Family & Juvenile Law Seminar, 2001
Find a Lawyer
Filter your results by…
– OR –
Become a Fellow
AAML is a welcoming group of accomplished family lawyers who are approachable role models and eager allies to help you advance your family law career.